Australia

Melbourne

image

I really appreciated the atmosphere of Melbourne. It’s a big city, but still it is human sized. You can walk through the center in half an hour, and public transports are free. As soon as you get out of the center, you need a card that you can use for the whole region: You just need to tap it against a sensor, extremely easy! Melbourne is also full of museums and known as a cultural city. I particularly appreciated the north-east blocks, where you find a little café at every corner, next to walls colored by amazing street art. The zoo is full of amazing animals – did you ever hear of the leafy sea-dragon?

One great moment was the meeting with Sing, the Australian cyclist I met in Austria, as my trip was still at its beginning. He let me visit the beaches around Ocean Grove and discover new plants I never heard of. I could also experience his amazing cooking skills (maybe influenced by his Malaysian-Chinese roots?).

image-1

Canberra

Canberra, the village that was made capital! What a horrible place: The streets are so empty that you wonder if you are the only survivor of an apocalypse. It was decided to be the capital in 1913, since Sydney and Melbourne couldn’t agree on it. The only things to see there is the government and big museums. Some of them are doted with amazing art, it’s for sure the case of the Gallery of Australia! It was the occasion for me to discover the work of Brack.

Sydney

Sydney was the first English settlement in Australia! And it was also amazing to discover some Aborigines rock engravings on the cliff walk of Manly beach. This beach and the one of Bondi confirmed how Australians are fans of practicing surf.

 

I stayed in the block of Kings cross, which is the backpacker area. The advantage was the amazing view on the city skyline. Still, in Sydney I felt kind of homesick. Not so much because I miss my home, more because I miss my history. I felt extremely weird to move through this gigantic buildings, all new, thinking that it was settled by descendants of European – mainly British-Irish settlers. 90% of the original Aborigines were exterminated or died of diseases brought by Europeans, the children of the rest 10% live in poor conditions, many are alcoholics. The only real « historic » part in Sydney was the quarter of The Rocks, which has rests of foundations of buildings of the beginning of the 20th century. Somehow, I felt at the wrong place…
Publicités